About this Event 26 March 2024
Compartmentation, Separation & Waterproofing - How to determine - A Building Surveyors Perspective
Join us for an exclusive training program designed to enhance your expertise in Compartmentation, Separation, and Waterproofing from the perspective of a Building Surveyor. Presented in collaboration with industry experts Allan Harriman and Paul Ratcliff, this program will delve into key aspects of assessments, inspections, penetrations, and waterproofing considerations.
Session 1: Compartmentation and Inspections
Presenter: Alan Harriman
This session will concentrate on the critical elements of Compartmentation and Separation, emphasising penetrations of fire rated walls and floors. Topics covered include:
- Understanding the purpose and intent of BCA requirements for fire separation and compartmentation.
- Differentiating between a BCA-defined complying 'Fire Wall' and a wall with a Fire Resistance Level (FRL).
- Exploring vertical and horizontal fire compartmentation and separation between building parts with different classifications.
- Examining BCA DtS objectives related to external fire-rated walls designed to collapse inwards.
- Addressing general floor limitations and vertical separation requirements.
- Navigating building regulations concerning inspections, including the purpose, intent, and competency of inspectors.
- Assessing openings in fire-rated wall and floor systems, exploring methods of protection and common pitfalls.
Session 2: Waterproofing Insights
Presenter: Paul Ratcliff
This session focuses specifically on AS 3740-2021, the new internal wet area standard, exploring its application in the National Construction Code (NCC). Topics covered include:
- Identifying changes between AS 3740-2010 and AS 3740-2021.
- Addressing conflicts between AS 3740-2021 and NCC.
- Assessing deemed-to-satisfy details in AS 3740-2021 that may not work in practice.
- Recognising details missing in AS 3740-2021 that require additional understanding.
- Understanding waterproofing material selection requirements in compliance with AS 3740-2021.
- Exploring inspection and certification processes for waterproofing in internal wet areas.
This training program is ideal for building surveyors new to the industry or those seeking to expand their knowledge through insights from industry experts. Don't miss this opportunity to elevate your understanding of building compliance in Compartmentation and Waterproofing.
About the Speakers
Allan Harriman - Jensen Hughes Pty Ltd
Allan Harriman OAM is a respected fire safety engineer and building regulations consultant with close to 40 years of experience. Pragmatic and solution-focused, his impressive background and outstanding legislative knowledge allow him to build trusted relationships across the sector.
Allan established BCA Logic in 1997 to provide expert consultancy that empowers clients to create safer buildings. Renowned for his strategic nous and problem-solving skills, he’s talented at identifying practical solutions that meet compliance requirements and support project objectives. Allan specialises in building defects and litigation and spends much of his time acting as an expert witness in matters before the courts.
Allan is generous with his extensive knowledge and enjoys sharing his expertise to build the capability of those he works with. He was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for service to the building and construction industry through professional associations in 2015.
Paul Ratcliff - Paul Ratcliff Building and Inspection Reports Pty Ltd
In 2017 Paul established Paul Ratcliff Building and Inspection Reports Pty Ltd with a focus on building and waterproofing inspections, forensic investigation litigation and waterproofing training. He is a committee member (Past Chairman) of BD-038 Standards Committee that is tasked with reviewing the deemed to satisfy requirements for waterproofing both internal and external wet areas.
In 2004 Paul was the recipient of the Master Builders Association Recognition of Service Award for development of the Master Builders Best Practice Manual 'Guide to Internal Wet Area Waterproofing. He also received the NSW Department of Education and Training Initiative Award for participation in developing a nationally accredited training and assessment package for internal we area waterproofing. Paul is the Chairman of the Master Builders Association Waterproofing Technical Committee as well as an Accredited Building Consultant with the Master Builders Association.
26 March 2024
6 type B CPD points
| Price (all prices inclusive of GST)
Register Your Attendance
- To register your attendance for this event, you must be logged into your AIBS account.
- Once logged in, scroll down to the bottom and click 'Register Myself'.
- If you do not already have an account setup, you can set one up by clicking 'Create Account'.
- If you have an account however, unsure of your login details, please email [email protected] or phone the AIBS office on 1300 312 427.
- If you have an existing account and are a current financial AIBS member, please do not create a new account as this will only create a duplicate account and not carry across your membership therefore, you will not receive AIBS member rates for registration.
Important Event Terms & Conditions
|Registration & Cancellation Policy
- All outstanding invoices must be paid before registering your attendance for any AIBS events. If you are unsure, please contact the AIBS office to confirm.
- All registrations are for a single delegate for the entire day, no individual session registrations accepted.
- CPD points will only be awarded to the registered delegate.
- Full event registrations cannot be split for different delegates on different days.
- Day registrations cannot be split for different delegates on different sessions.
Refunds will be provided for cancellation as follows:
- More than 30 days before the first day of the event - full refund
- Between 7 and 30 days before the first day of the event - 50% refund
- Less than 7 days before the first day of the event - no refund.
- All registrations are confirmed upon completion of registration via the AIBS online registration system.
- All invoices will generate a payment term of 14 days from the date of registration however, please note that payment for a registration must be made prior to attending.
- In the circumstance where payment cannot be made prior to the event, please contact [email protected] as soon as possible to notify.
- Any cancellation of a registration for AIBS events must be made in writing to [email protected].
- A failure to make payment in accordance with the above terms will not be accepted as a valid cancellation.
- 'No Show's - not showing up to an event does not cancel an existing invoice and therefore, must be paid.
AIBS Attendance Certificate
Please note that you will not receive an attendance certificate for this event. AIBS record your attendance at any of our face to face training events, webinars or AIBSTV.
When preparing your AIBS CPD Return, you are not required to provide a certificate of attendance for AIBS events, as your attendance is already recorded by our staff. When completing your return please not the date and name of the event, and AIBS staff will verify your attendance. This will save you having to fund and collate your attendance certificates over your CPD year.
Please note that for non-AIBS events your evidence of attendance is required.
However, if you would prefer to receive a certificate of attendance please email [email protected] and your certificate will be sent via email. If you have any questions regarding your CPD. Attendance Certificate please either call the AIBS office on 1300 312 427 or email [email protected]
Please Note the Following
- Dates may appear in American format depending on you internet browser language settings. This event will be held on Tuesday 26 March 2024. To change the browser language to the correct dates, please click here.
- You must be signed in to see the correct pricing.
- The pricing that is offered to you is dependent upon your AIBS membership status. If you feel the price that is shown for you is incorrect, please contact the office on 1300 312 427 for assistance.
- You must answer all questions marked with an asterisk and click "Save Responses" in order to complete your registration and proceed to checkout.
- Please note that upon registration you will receive an automated order confirmation. For details on how to access your invoice or receipt, please refer to our help guide.
- Registration will remain open until Tuesday 9 March 2024 unless capacity is reached prior to this date.
This event is provided and hosted by the Australian Institute of Building Surveyors for the purpose of education and information. Views expressed by presenters and contributors are not necessarily endorsed by the AIBS. No responsibility is accepted by the AIBS for the accuracy of information presented at such training and events, or contained in written material provided to attendees at such training and events. The information and material presented is intended as informative only, and should not be relied upon without having first obtained professional advice, and no responsibility is accepted by the AIBS for any liability whatsoever to any person for any act done in reliance, whether partially or wholly, on the information presented or written material provided at any training or events. No part of any written material may be reproduced, copied or duplicated without the express written consent of the AIBS and the author.